Friday, July 23, 2010

Rise Up and Run...

So, why a blog? WHY run a MARATHON? And why "Rise Up and Run"?

First of all, I like to journal, but rarely make the time to do so. A blog seems like a logical way to journal in the digitial world we live in today. I also like to write things down in terms of accomplishments (how many eggs my chickens laid a day, how many pints of jelly I made, etc.), and I figure this would be a great place to record my progress while training for a marathon.

Last fall, I saw in Redbook that Disney was hosting their annual Disney Princess Half Marathon in March 2010, and I had my heart set on running it (if, for any other reason, it was an excuse to go back to Disney, which is one of my FAVORITE places!). Other than playing indoor soccer through late fall/early winter, I hadn't been running. Sure, I'm pretty active, but settling down and running on a schedule is a whole new ball game. For a variety of reasons, I didn't run the Disney Princess Half Marathon....or run in any way, shape, or form, really. Until this past spring when two of my friends asked if I was interested in completing 5K's with them, and I agreed. I ran my first 5K with my friend Katie in April - the York White Rose Lady 5K. My time wasn't great, but I was elated that I RAN the entire 3.1miles! Then, in May, I completed my second 5K - Harrisburg's Armed Forces Day 5K - and this time my husband, Neil, ran with me. I actually increased my time, but not by too much, and, again, I ran the entire time. Since then, I haven't really been running, but the dream of running the Disney Princess Half Marathon was still on my mind.

Then I received a postcard in the mail a few weeks ago about the Leukemia and Lymphoma's Team in Training program which invivted me to an Open House. So I went. And, with the motivation of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's misson behind me, I figured I finally had a great reason to consistently run towards a goal that wasn't a completely selfish one. And, that evening, I signed up as a LLS Team in Training team member for the Walt Disney World Marathon on January 9, 2011. That's right, a FULL MARATHON (that's 26.2 miles - 1 mile for every year I have been alive, although I'll soon be 27...thought that was just a cool coincidence).

As part of Team in Training, not only do I need to physically and mentally prepare for an endurance event, I have also committed to raising $3500 for the LLS. Now, I could just fork out the money for the flight, lodging, and race registration myself, but a full 75% of the money I raise will go DIRECTLY to the goals and mission of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. So, why did I decide to raise a large amount of money by asking people to donate (something I AM NOT good at doing) rather than just pay for my own expenses, or, just not run a marthon at all? Because by the Grace of God, I CAN! I CAN because I am healthy, and so I am going to use that gift of health God has blessed me with, and raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in order to bless others in a small way. We are all just one phone call away from our knees, and perhaps with the money I raise, less people will be on their knees asking God's strength in the shadows of a new diagnosis, but instead will be on their knees praising Him for His faithfulness in restoring their health, or the health of their family and friends, through the work of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Finally, why the title of this blog? A friend of mine is a very talented song writer and singer, and God gave her a great song called "Look Up and Rise". I have two favorite lines in that song, and one of them is "Rise Up and Run for the Son has set you free"....that line describes the grace we are all given through the blood Jesus has shed for us. Daily I live in God's grace, and am so thankful for the love and forgiveness I have in that, which is free to anyone who seeks and asks for it.

I look forward to blogging about this experience, which will be a walk (okay, more like a full-out marathon run) of faith for me, especially in terms of raising the funds I have committed to. Not to mention the actual motivation and endurance I will physcially and emotionally need to reach my goal of running a marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment